Friday, February 26, 2016

130" Screen DIY for Beam Projector Build Log #01 : Frame + Screen



Hello all my friends.
As the build log is quite long, I wanna share the final shot of the first build log.

It has not been hanged on the wall. Anyway it is around 130 inch diagonal.


From a different view.


To compare the screen material to the wall, naver.com is turned on.
(I am a Korean, and many of us are the slaves of naver!)


Let me start the first build log.

Moving to my new house, I've decided to make the screen by myself.
There are several reasons to do DIY.
  • My 2nd DIY beam projector (http://blog.naver.com/bumhee34/220101033702) shots around 130" diagonal, and couldn't find a proper commercial product in a reasonable price.
  • I would love to try a fixed frame screen, but 16:10 ratio is expensive in Korea.
  • I would like to try edgeless screen!!
  • And.. I want to attach a special function to my screen, but this is secret at this moment!
So..? I started to build my own screen.
As many know, the fixed frame screen needs a frame and a screen material.

Usually, the frame is made of "wood" or "aluminium profile".
There are pros and cons of each of them.

 Wood
Profile
 Pros
  • If tension-needed screen is used, easy to fix it by staple
  • Easy to buy
  • Sturdy
  • Easy to assemble
  • Light
  • Easy to assemble
  • More precise in dimensions
  • Free out of humidity
 Cons
  • Relatively heavy
  • Size diff. depending on humidity
  • How to fix the screen material..?
  • Small profile would be distorted when tension is applied.

For the screen material, there are two types. One is tension-needed, and another is tension-free.
Most famous (as far as i know) material is from Carl's Place.
"Blackout cloth" needs tension, while "Pro white" does not.
Pros and cons of them are listed as follows.

 blackout cloth
pro white 
 Pros

  • Easy shipping

  • No tension
  • Can be attached to the wall directly with 3M spray glue (77 series)
 Cons

  • Needs tension...

  • Can not be folded
  • Shipping..

At first time, I planned to use "Pro white".
The most famous(?) YouTube clip is shown as follows.
He used 3M spray glue to hang the screen on the wall, and used his own paint recipe to enhance the screen spec.
I liked to try the painting also, but the products are not sold in Korea.
Anyway, "Pro white" would be nice choice as there is no gap between the wall and the screen.


But, another YouTube clip turned over my plan at all!
You can see it in the clip, it is a fixed frame without edge! It looks very coooool.
And the screen looks better to be away from the wall in my view point.
I envy his projector. Mine is just DIY projector hehe..



After literature survey, I decided the final spec of my screen.
  • Screen size : around 130", 16:10 ratio
  • Screen bezel : no bezel (edgeless), how? the answer is in the above YouTube link, and I will show you how to do this
  • Screen material : Carl's Place blackout cloth from amazon.com
  • Screen frame : Aluminium profile (3030)
  • How to hang : no idea yet.
  • ETC : I will add a special function on my screen. But secret at this moment.

Let me start to build the screen itself.
I found a very light profile (5xx gram per meter) from (http://alubam.com/).
Sorry that is only for Korean.
I ordered 3030 black aluminium profile.
The packaging is way toooo much.

It took me around 30 mins to remove the packaging. Haha.


After removing the packaging, beautiful profiles are shown.


Tried to fix 90 degree.


The big advantage of profile is that there are many tools for the profile system.
If u use the following tool, you can easily assembly two profiles with 90 degree joint angle.


Use a nut and bolt to fix the "ㄱ" shape bracket.


Assemble..


And assemble..


If there is enough space, it is easy to assemble.
And it is super light, you can handle it with one hand.


Now time to wrap the screen up.


The packaging gives me a feeling to get a gift.


When spreading the material....
Tooooo big..
I had no idea that I could succeed it.


At first time, I tried to use a plastic bar to fix the screen material.
But this plastic bar is useless as it is made for hiding the side line-hole.


But, there is always the way.
In the YouTube clip that's in the above, he used a tube to fix the screen material.
So, I've tried with several tubes; Tygon, Silicon, and PU.
Found out that PU is quite rigid, and it is perfect to fix the screen material.
For your info, PU tube with OD 10mm is perfect for 3030 profile.
Moreover, PU tube is very cheap.


At first time, I tried to use hot water to soften the tube...
No luck.


Hot water was not working for me. Just do it.
As shown in the following picture, cut the tube in a small size and plug it in the side-hole.
You'd better to know that PU tube is too rigid... it is quite difficult to cut it. :(
One more thing, it is super difficult to plug it in the side-hole. Really really really soooo difficult.
Found out a good way, use a plier to plug it in.


You should follow this order to make the screen tight. (http://www.carlofet.com/build-your-own-projector-screen)



Hmm... tried to fix the first and second points.
Is it working..???


Advance the third and fourth points.
Still...doubtful..


Tried to keep going.
And it looks better and better :)


Almost done!


You can do it alone.
It took me around 5 hours though..


I made a big mistake on the edge. @J$#@#J%RI@#J$#%$FUIC!K


There was nothing else to make it right but doing it again.
So, I just put a small piece of the screen material on the defect.


After then, i cut all the extra material.
Looks neat.


At the time being, I have not decided how to hang it on the wall or below the ceiling.
Anyway, I lean the screen against the wall.


From a different view.
The frame looks deformed, but it is not. It is due to my cell phone camera.


Quick test with naver.com.
As you can see, the screen is better than the wall.


Test with X-men


Now, I need to decide how to hang the screen on the wall.
And, I am working on the secret function.
If I can make it, then I will be very excited.
I hope I could write down the second build log after the great success.

No comments:

Post a Comment